Domesticity can actually be quite satisfying...

Tuesday 29 November 2011

She-Ra, Have You Led Me Astray?

Time is a funny thing.  My Little Gem is now four months old, and that four months seemed to simultaneously last a life time, while flying by in an instant. What was once a tiny, skinny, immobile bairn is now a thunder-thighed, robust and rolling bub, with her own vibrant personality. I love that I have been able to stay at home and watch this development, all day, every day. Others aren't so lucky.
I decided to take 12 months maternity leave, supplemented by the Government's Paid Parental Leave. It was a Godsend. We trialled various brands and products for Little Gem. We got major annual expenses out of the way, e.g. car registrations, Christmas shopping, insurance. I stocked up on essential items such as nappies, wipes, baby bath soap, tissues and toilet paper (thank you , Costco). And we afforded ourselves a little coastal getaway.
But now my 18 weeks has run its course, and we are officially living off one income. My bank account will be languishing, unnourished and unloved, for at least a few months. And I am not coping with that.
I was a child of the 90s. As a little miss, I watched as
Rainbow Brite defeated the King of Shadows. I saw She-Ra join He-Man in defence of Castle Greyskull. The message was clear to me. Girls are tough! Girls can do anything that Boys can do! Then the Spice Girls came along and gave it a name. Girl Power. (Ok, the Spice Girls were horribly naff. But hindsight is a beautiful thing. It was 1996 people! Think wide-leg jeans and cargo pants. Think Blossom, or, if you're under the age of 25... google Blossom. Any judgemental hipster-types can go and jump of some cliff somewhere that I've probably never heard of...) Then, in 2001 I found a book titled Kiss My Tiara.  It was modern feminism to a tee. How to stand on your own two feet, in gorgeous shoes to boot. (Btw, that link will take you to the original website of that book. It's like time travel!)
So, after growing up in Generation Girl Power, having had a job since I was 14, how can I possibly reconcile the fact that I am now completely dependent on Husbands income? We have never opened a joint bank account, and while we both refer to 'our' money, I'm riddled with guilt for contemplating anything other than a 'necessary' expenditure. I should note, this guilt is strictly driven from within. Husband is quite happy in his role of breadwinner, and thinks that it is extremely important for me to be at home with Little Gem right now.
But there is a part of me that is dying to get back to paid work. To be actively working to contribute to our household. And not just in a financial sense. To go back to work would enable me to feel competent, confident and independent. But there is also that larger, more emotional part of me that wants to relish every day of Little Gem, especially at this dynamic and engrossing stage of her development.
To be clear, this is not a debate about whether Little Gem should go into care. She has a Super Nan who is waiting in the wings, ready to spoil her rotten when I go back to work. And realistically, it won't be for a while. Little Gem is still breast fed and I really don't think I could tear myself away just yet. So it will be at least a few months of dependence, and I will simply have to learn to live with it. Or maybe the answer lies within a question... What would She-Ra do?
On the upside for Husband... my guilt has led me to make a bit more effort in the kitchen lately. Hopefully, I'll end up faring a little better than my previous attempts...

2 comments:

  1. Yes i know this feeling!! Unfortunately i couldnt get the paid mat leave, and the baby bonus only goes so far. I had to go back to work just as Avalon was almost 6 months as husband quit his job and i stepped up. It was hard, it was 4 days a week but it was hard. Then husband got a job 5 months later after we moved, and i wasnt sure if i really wanted to work. Its always a crap decision! But, i enjoyed that feeling of contributing, and not relying on husbands wallet to buy things {we dont have a joint acct either!} now i am thinking of going to study next year and Avie will have to go to daycare 4 days a week. It kills me, but Ive already been able to spend more time than other mothers at home with their little bub, so thats how i sleep at night :)

    {bit longer than i hoped to reply! sorry} great post - totally get it. Although thank goodness i dont have to cook, we would probably only have cereal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The paid leave was a huge factor in our decision to have a baby. I'm sure I would have had to go back much sooner if we didn't have that. There's a discussion over at Mamamia today about working vs staying at home. The nails are out! In the end, you have to do what you have to do. And a husband that can cook is a huge advantage for all! :-)

    ReplyDelete