Domesticity can actually be quite satisfying...

Thursday 24 November 2011

It's Been a While

It has indeed been a while between posts, which is quite remiss of me, given that people now seem to be reading this! The H household has been quite hectic over the last fortnight. Here is a quick rundown of what's been happening.
We had our second weekend away with Little Gem, this time a trip to Sydney to catch up with family and friends. Cleverly chose to review this before packing. Discovered that car does, indeed, have a big enough boot. Spend the first half of the trip congratulating myself on my superior packing abilities. However, when it came time to get ready for a family function, we discovered that I had forgotten to pack Husband's belt, my preferred shoes, hairspray, half of my outfit and and my sanity.
Little Gem coped wonderfully with the trip away, but gave a repeat performance on the way home. So much so, that I even resorted to the dreaded dummy for the first time. Little Gem is mostly happy to suck on her fingers, but was too tired to lift her arms. The dummy gave us some peace for the trip home, and despite the roar of outrage that is currently filling the lungs of the Perfect Mummy Brigade, it wasn't the end of the world. It simply allowed us to travel without a noise level to match that of a fighter jet. And while some idiots experts may have you believe that the humble dummy is as addictive as heroin, Little Gem has given no indication that she would like it back. Her fingers are definitely her preferred taste.
The last week has been spent preparing for Little Gem's Christening. We had family around for the whole weekend, and it was great having everybody at our home. Given how I seem to have lost my mind lately, I was lucky to have my 7 year old nephew around to remind me about almost everything. "You said you needed apple juice and cream." "Did you call Nan to borrow the sheets for the single bed?" "You forgot to bring the table inside to put the cake on!" "Are you ready yet?!"
While life has been a whirlwind, there are two pieces of writing that I have read over the last two weeks that have struck a chord with me. The first piece is by a friend called Angie, who has her own blog that is well worth a read, and this week she had a piece published on Mamamia about Post Natal Depression. I was lucky enough not to experience this, but so many new mums do, and the work of PANDA is priceless. The other piece I came across is this. I was contemplating writing a post on the issue of Marriage Equality, and JG's decision to put it to a conscience vote, but this post says everything that I wanted to say, but far better than I ever could have.
So that's it for now. Sorry for the random post, I'll resume normal transmissions soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment